Allie Costa is a Los Angeles-based actress working in film, TV, theatre, and voiceover. She can usually be found on a set, in a theatre, or in a secondhand bookstore. She always has energy to burn and a song to sing. When not performing the works of others, she's writing her own. Occasionally, she sleeps.
• Allie is currently playing Sam in Wake, a dark comedy about an agoraphobic mortician, her vivacious mother, and her precocious teenage daughter. Written by Carey Crim and produced by SeaGlass Theatre, the West Coast premiere of Wake runs April 26th through May 25th at the Fremont Centre Theatre in Pasadena. Get tickets and more information!
• In the funny film You Me & Her, Anna (Shannon Woodward of Raising Hope) runs into alternate versions of herself. Allie plays the 16-year-old version of Anna; Tina Majorino (Veronica Mars) plays Anna's roommate. The movie was written and directed by Sarah Doyle, one of eight ladies selected for the AFI Directing Workshop for Women. You Me & Her will be screened at the Directors Guild of America and AFI in April and May.
• Who She Could Have Been, a new drama by Allie Costa, has been named a semi-finalist in Little Black Dress INK's Female Playwrights Project. The play will have its first reading at the Sedona Arts Center in Arizona on May 4th. Email email@example.com to reserve a seat.
• For Valentina, a monologue written by Allie, has been selected for The Apron Strings Project. Inspired by a vintage apron collection, the production will benefit The Retreat, a domestic violence shelter. The show will be held May 2nd-4th at Vail Levitt Music Hall in Riverhead, New York. Learn more.
• Little Swan, a Pas de Deux, written by Allie Costa, is one of six plays named Best of PlayGround-LA for the 2013-2014 season. The plays will be presented at the Zephyr Theatre in Hollywood on Monday, May 12th. Learn more about the gala.
• Altared State, a new comedy written and directed by Allie Costa, will have a reading at Drama West in Los Angeles on Saturday, May 17th.
• Three of Allie's short stage pieces - Glitter and Smoke, Seven, and Do I Know You? - have been selected for Playsmiths Flashfest 2014, which will take place on June 15th in New York. More details to come.
MARCH AND APRIL 2014
• Allie shot the film When I Hear Peace. She plays Diane, a teenager trying to keep her feuding family together.
• Little Swan, a Pas de Deux, a new play inspired by the life of prima ballerina Anna Pavlova, had a reading at the Zephyr Theatre in Hollywood. Written by Allie Costa and directed by Jim Kleinmann, the play featured Miriam Canfield as Anna Pavlova and Kathy Bell Denton as Madame. Little Swan was one of six plays selected to celebrate Women's History Month at PlayGround-LA.
• Allie has been invited to join the 4x10 Musical Theatre Company run by John Sparks of the Academy for New Musical Theatre.
• Personal Space, a new workplace comedy written by Allie Costa, had a reading in Los Angeles, produced by Drama West.
• Allie played Dolly in a reading of You Never Can Tell by George Bernard Shaw.
• Read about Allie's first official stage role in MyStageStory.
• Allie played Kit in a reading of A League of Their Own.
• Allie performed in a reading of Neil LaBute's Autobahn.
• Allie performed in a staged reading of Broken at the Academy for New Musical Theatre.
• Allie played multiple characters in a reading of a new play inspired by Edgar Lee Masters' Spoon River Anthology.
• Need an audiobook narrator? Allie is officially registered on ACX.
• Allie played Claudio in a gender-flipped reading of Much Ado About Nothing.
• Failure to Communicate, a comedy Allie wrote and directed, was named a Fresh Produce'd selection and presented at The Other Space Theatre.
• Allie played Mary Tilford in a reading of The Children's Hour by Lillian Hellman.
• Allie has joined the cast of Broken, a new musical which will have a reading next month in Los Angeles.
• Listening in the Library, one of Allie's short plays, was a quarter-finalist in the Lakeshore Players Theatre 10-Minute Play Festival.
• Raising the Barre, another of Allie's original plays, has been chosen as a finalist for the Sticky Series in New York.
• Allie played Tiny Tammy in Little Miss Scrooge, a new musical that combines the ghost story from A Christmas Carol with the love story from Great Expectations. This modern Dickens mash-up was directed by John Caird, the Tony and Olivier Award-winning director of Les Misérables, co-directed by Sam Caird, with music by Paul Gordon, composer of Jane Eyre and Daddy Long Legs. The show had a wonderful run at the Rubicon Theatre.
• Allie's original play Can You Keep a Secret? was an official selection of PlayGround-LA and had a staged reading at Zephyr Theatre. Unfolding like a classic episode of The Twilight Zone, the story is set in the not-too-distant future, when peace of mind comes with a price.
• Failure to Communicate, a funny play inspired by a true story of customer (dis)service, had its world premiere in Los Angeles. Allie wrote, directed, and performed in the show, which was part of Can You Hear Me Now?, a one-act festival about miscommunication in the digital age. Performances were followed by talkback sessions to connect the writers, actors, and audience.
• Listening in the Library, another of Allie's short plays, was an official selection of PlayGround-LA and had a staged reading at Zephyr Theatre. Logline: Stuck in the school library during a lockdown drill, two teenage girls at opposite ends of the social spectrum find some common ground.
• Click here for Allie's resume. Check out Allie's credits on IMDb. Film/TV credits include 90210, Unusual Suspects, Goldfish Love, Pizza With Aeneas, and Solace. Theatre credits include Spring Awakening, Hamlet, Gypsy, You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown, and Anything Goes.
• Listen to Allie's musical theatre and animation voiceover demo. Allie can be heard on the original cast soundtracks of Invisible, Juliet of the Sky, Mr. Potcher's Holiday, Limberlost, You Made Me Love You, and more. Visit Allie's SoundCloud.
• Visit Allie on Facebook: